- About COPE
- Be Aware
- COPE Events
- Get Prepared
What we do and what we’ve done!
Community Outreach Promoting Emergency Preparedness (COPE Preparedness) is a 501 (C) 3 nonprofit volunteer emergency preparedness organization. COPE Preparedness was founded in 2003 first as an ad-hoc committee of 7 harbor area Neighborhood Councils and then incorporated as a non profit in 2006.
Our mission is: “Promoting Emergency Preparedness Through Proactive Community Outreach.”
2011 COPE Preparedness Updates
COPE Preparedness achieved the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Citizen Corps Council designation for the Los Angeles harbor area. Citizen Corps is FEMA’s grassroots strategy to bring together government and community leaders to involve citizens in all-hazards emergency preparedness and resilience.
COPE Preparedness Organized the Emergency Preparedness Initiative “Community Continuity”
- Phase I “Opening the Dialogue” conducted on April 4th, 2009. This summit brought together over 120 community leaders and identified community issues that resulted in consensus of future goals. Community Continuity is an excellent collaborative effort of the COPE Board of Directors, a committee of dedicated community leaders and in partnership with the City of Los Angeles Emergency Management Department.
- Phase II, “Getting Down to Business” April 30, 2010 brings together a Panel of Experts to conduct a business continuity forum to prepare local businesses to sustain and survive in the event of disasters.
Map Your Neighborhood (MYN). COPE Preparedness is conducting MYN preparedness training programs within the community. MYN is a FEMA endorsed program that is being utilized in 22 states. Its basis is a 9-Step block by block preparedness program. COPE Preparedness is conducting 2 ½ hour FREE training programs for volunteers so they can implement MYN in their neighborhoods. COPE Preparedness has received grants from State Farm Insurance, Providence Little Company of Mary Medical Center and ILWU for program implementation
Harbor Area Hazard Analysis. COPE Preparedness initiated and introduced in partnership with the City of Los Angeles Emergency Management Department the specific Harbor Area Hazard Analysis. This document is posted on the COPE Preparedness website at www.COPE-Preparedness.org.
- Community Emergency Management Representation: COPE Preparedness is a voting member of the Los Angeles Emergency Network (ENLA) which identifies COPE within the structure of FEMA as a VOLAG (voluntary agency whose mission is related to emergency management).
- COPE Preparedness also represents the stakeholders of the City of Los Angeles on the CCAMSC S3 Subcommittee of the Area Maritime Security Committee (AMSC).
- H1N1 Point of Distribution (POD). In response to the national Pandemic, COPE Preparedness accepted the role of POD Coordinator and recruited, organized and directed 60 volunteers to manage POD’s in partnership with the County Public Health Dept. and City of Los Angeles Emergency Management Department.
- Harbor Area Emergency Preparedness Initiative: COPE Preparedness wrote an emergency management plan that describes our mission, goals and objectives and deliverables.
- Community Presentations: COPE Preparedness promotes its mission of preparedness at numerous community meetings and maintains a database of thousands of community members. COPE continues to promote the message of preparedness and distributes pertinent information through email notifications, Newsletters and presentations.
COPE Preparedness provides:
- Emergency Preparedness Forums and Presentations
- Consulting on Business Continuity Plans
- Discounts on and information about emergency supplies
- Neighborhood Mapping in the Harbor Area
Search our Site
Subscribe to our e-newsletter
We thank our Platinum Sponsors
Support our nonprofit mission:Proud member of
For your emergency supply needs, visit Major Survival and mention 'COPE' for a 10% discount.
Be a Fan
- Board of Directors (15)
- CERT Programs (9)
- COPE Events (8)
- Emergency Alerts (1)
- Emergency Management Industry Updates (53)
- Local News (44)
- News (118)
- Past COPE Events (3)
- Preparedness for Pets and Livestock (7)
- Preparedness Information (74)
- Research (11)
- Social Media (3)
- Technology (10)
- Training Programs (12)